Monday, August 23, 2010

Amazing how the times have changed

Lately I have been watching some older shows, Bewitched, Alf, Doogie Hoosier, M.D., etc. These shows are reminiscent of days gone by, and of ideals that use to be popular, but are no more. What truly amazes me most though, is in the show Bewitched. I have always loved Bewitched, and as a child I had always wished I was a witch so that I could travel the world but not actually have to do any traveling. I loved going places, I just hated the trip. Anyway, I found Bewitched on HULU.COM, and I have been watching the episodes in order, from season 1, episode 1. Although I have seen many, many episodes, I never really realized, Larry Tate is the biggest jerk of all! I always knew that he treated Darrin like dirt, he'd fire Darrin, only to rehire him and take the credit for Darrin's (aka Samantha's) ideas. I knew this. What I didn't know, is that in several episodes Larry completely encourages Darrin to have affairs. There is an episode that I watched today, titled, That was my wife, where Sam and Darrin decide to spice up their marriage by spending the weekend at a hotel. As Sam was leaving the house she decided to put on a wig. In the mean time, Larry tried to get Darrin to work late, and Darrin claims to have an appointment. As chance would have it, Larry ended up seeing Sam and Darrin meet at the hotel, but since Sam's wearing a wig, he doesn't realize that it is Sam meeting Darrin, and his comment about the scene is, "you sly dog you!" I mean SERIOUSLY! It just amazes me that to me, this show is promoting married couples to not uphold their vows! And this was not the first episode where Larry was either tempted, or attempted to cheat either. Yes, Darrin never did anything wrong, and honored his wedding vows, but Larry was all for stepping out on his wife. It just makes me sad for the women of that time.

Unfortunately, I know how the men of this era thought. I remember my dad telling stories about the men he knew, and how most, if not all didn't respect their wives enough to keep their "business" to themselves. I know in someways, the times havent' changed. There are still men around that couldn't care about anyone besides themselves, and would cheat on their wife or girlfriend in a heartbeat, but I also know that, thankfully, there are still a few good men left that a woman can trust and depend on.

Thank you honorable men!

No comments: