Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Smothered Beef Burritos

As part of my "Cook with a plan 2015" Tonight was Smothered beef burritos. I had never made this before but it sounded super delicious, and let me tell you, it truly was. The beef mixture was to die for, and the enchilada sauce was fantastic! Both of my kids gobbled it up. My six year old daughter even ate every single bite of her burrito and this is the child that refuses to eat burritos and opts for a tortilla with cheese only instead. This will definitely be added to the future meals list. There was even enough of the beef mixture left to make me a lunch for tomorrow and also 1 more meal for all 3 of us. I love meals like this. Tonight I plan on making up the last of the mixture into burritos and freezing them as is so I just have to pop them into the oven when I'm ready to eat them.

Smothered beef burrito



  Serves: 5-7
Ingredients
1 1/2-2 lb stew meat  - 5.98
cans Old El Paso enchilada sauce  - 1.38 each = 2.76
2 Knorr Beef Stock tubs  - 4 tubs for $3.48 = 1.74
1/2 can(s) refried beans  - $1.00 = .50
5-7 burrito sized flour tortillas  - Package of 16 for $5.46 = 1.37
cheddar cheese, shredded - 2lb bag (maybe a cup was used) for $8.88 = .56

Total cost for tonight's dinner ---$12.91 and as mentioned there is plenty for another meal. Definitely a win in my book.

Directions
1. In crock pot put beef, enchilada sauce and bouillon and cook on low 7-8 hours (or high 3-4), until beef is fork tender.
2. When beef is done taste and add salt if needed. Heat up refried beans and put oven on broil. On oven proof plate or cookie sheet place tortilla and 1/2 cup of beef and spoonful of beans.

3. Roll into burrito and pour enchilada sauce over to completely cover. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese melts.

No comments: