Saturday, January 10, 2015

Apple Bacon Pork Roast - Crockpot Meal



The biggest reason I love cooking in the crockpot is that it is super easy... almost fool proof. My next meal this week was the Apple Bacon Pork Roast and as good as it was when it was fresh, it was actually even better as left overs. I found the recipe here. This is the picture that enticed me...
Looks great right??? I knew instantly this was going to be one of my first recipes to try and let me tell you, it was as good as I thought it would be. The only down fall was that the roast is cooked with apple slices inside and I think because I started the roast @ 7:00 am and we didn't eat until 5:00 pm that they got a little mushy. I think had I started the roast around noon and only cooked it on high for 4-6 hours they wouldn't have been ewwwy. In any case, the meat and bacon was to die for... literally. The smell, flavors, MMMMM. So here's how I started my roast.

The recipe calls for slicing the roast into inch slices 3/4th of the way through, then placing apple slices inside the slits. Once the apples are inside, place the bacon on top. I did mine in a lattice style. Once the bacon is on sprinkle brown sugar on top. The roast goes from above to below and no, that isn't bacon fat, that's juice.



I served my roast with mashed potatoes and gravy, beets and corn. It was so delicious! Since my kids decided to eat like birds I have way more than enough for probably 2-3 more meals.

Crock Pot Apple Bacon Pork Roast

 




Prep Time - 10 minutes
Cook time - 4 hours
Total time - 4 hours, 10 minutes
Serves - 6-8






Ingredients
·         3-4 Pork Loin Roast
·         2 large apples sliced (I prefer fuji)
·         6 slices of bacon (1/2 cooked)
·         ⅓ cup brown sugar
Glaze
·         ½ cup brown sugar
·         ¼ cup apple juice
·         1 tablespoon Dijon or grainy mustard
·         dash cinnamon
Instructions
1.      Slice your pork loin into one inch slices about ¾ of the way through. That way the roast is still connected in one piece.
2.      Place roast in a large crock pot and place the apple slices in the slits.
3.      Lay the bacon slices over the top of the roast, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
4.      Place lid on the crock pot and allow the roast to cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Final cook time will depend on your crockpot.
5.      Slice and serve with the glaze below.
Glaze
1.      Blend glaze ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
** Now I wasn't too sure when to put the glaze on because the recipe doesn't state, so I just dumped it over the whole thing and let it cook together while I got my sides ready so about 10 minutes. When pulling it out of the crock pot I poured some juice on top to provide more moisture.



No comments: