Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Harry Potter Graph Afghan, aka Graphgan

As promised, today is the start of my Harry Potter Afghan. This afghan is comprised of 37 separate blocks. Most of these blocks I have created, but there are a few blocks that were created by someone else that I modified, and then some that were created by another blogger completely. For the blocks that were created by the other blogger, I will link back to her website. I will also give credit where credit is due to the those that inspired my creation.

This project started because another blogger from Twoheartscrochet.com started a Harry Potter Crochet-along. The project is comprised of 13 blocks, 1 large crest, and 12 surrounding blocks. My whole intention was to follow her patterns and recreate her afghan, but I have been surrounded by a lot of creative juices. Many in the crochet-along started creating such amazing work I knew I had to also give it a shot. There were way too many wonderful ideas and not enough space, so I decided to make my afghan unique. Instead of doing 12 individual blocks around the crest, I decided to do only the crest and the four corner blocks in a corner-to-corner stitch in double crochet, and the remaining blocks will be completed in single crochet, so it will take 4 blocks to fill the larger blocks. I am pretty pleased with my progress. I found both the Harry Potter banner and the broom banner on Pinterest, but alas I can no longer locate the broom banner website. As I complete each phase of this project I will attach a PDF link for anyone wanting to use my graphs. I hope you enjoy making this afghan as much as I am enjoying it.

***Update*** So I ran into a problem with some of my graphs. I found that some of the smaller graphs did not look as good as I would have liked when crocheted in the single-crochet stitch like I had planned, so I modified my original layout back to the original layout, the crest in the middle with 12 blocks surrounding it. I don't like it nearly as much as I liked my original idea, but alas, whatcha gonna do about. With my time constraints (the afghan will be donated to the silent auction for my family reunion) I decided 12 additional blocks were a lot easier to accomplish than 37. LOL. I do still plan on making this massive afghan just as it is... well maybe with a few tweaks, but pretty close. Here's the new layout that I am working on. 


*** Note *** I am combining some of the graphs together into a single PDF to get the graphs out quicker. I will eventually update with each graph link. But until then, I hope this helps. 

Block 1 - Crest
Block 2 - 9 3/4 -I tweaked the original block from the twoheartscrochet blog. For the original go to      twoheartscrochet
Block 3 - Lightning Bolt
Block 4 - Potion Bottle
Block 5 - Marvolo Gaunt's Ring
Block 6 - Always
Block 7 - Time Turner
Block 8 - Padfoot
Block 9 - Fawkes the Phoenix
Block 10 - The 7 Horcrux's combined.
Block 11 - Wizard's Chess
Block 12 - Alas, Ear Wax
Block 13 - Wormtail
Block 14 - Snitch
Block 15 - Hedwig
Block 16 - Harry Potter
Block 17 - Dobbie
Block 18 - Crookshanks the Cat
Block 19 - Draco Malfoy
Block 20 - Sorting Hat
Block 21 - Voldemort
Block 22 - Dolores Umbridge
Block 23 - Books
Block 24 - Hermione Granger
Block 25 - Deathly Hallows
Block 26 - Luna Lovegood
Block 27 - Albus Dumbledore
Block 28 - Rubeus Hagrid
Block 29 - Minerva McGonagall
Block 30 - Alastor Moody
Block 31 - Tri-Wizard Cup
Block 32 - Ron Weasly

Banner 1 - Harry Potter
Banner 2 - Broom stick

Alternate Block 1 - Serverus Snape
Alternate Block 2 - Cedric Diggory
Alternate Block 3 - Neville Longbottom

As you can tell I am not going to be releasing the blocks in order, mostly because I am waiting on a yarn order. So, until then, I will be working on the blocks that I can. Until then, "I solemly swear that I am up to no good."


23 comments:

Witchy said...

Will you be posting anymore squares for this afghan? It looks really awesome, but only 2 blocks have been posted and that was over a month ago. Just want to know. I am looking forward to the squares so I can make it. Great job with the squares and layout.

Witchy said...

It's been months since your last post. Will you be posting any more squares for the Harry Potter throw?

The Homemade Way said...

I am so so sorry I haven't responded earlier. For some reason I didn't get any notification. Yes, I am posting more... look for them in the next few days. I have been struggling with making the graphs smaller.

Witchy said...

No problem. I just love your squares and was wondering because I had wanted to make this for a Christmas present.

The Homemade Way said...

I just updated the page with the links to the blocks that I did not design. I should have several more blocks uploaded this week.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi there just wondering when roughly all the blocks will be available to download. Many thanks

Unknown said...

thank you for all your work

The Homemade Way said...

@Kristie Lane, I'm not 100% positive. I'm trying to get them out as quick as I can. I have a touch of OCD and want them all to match. LOL. so while I could release the blocks faster I want to make sure when I release the pattern I have a finished product to show what it should look like first, if that makes sense.

The Homemade Way said...

Also, if there are some you are looking for in particular, let me know, I might already have those blocks done and just need to write out the pattern.

Witchy said...

Do you have the graphs for the original layout or just the ones for the layout where all the blocks are the same size except for the crest? I was interested in the original posted afghan.

The Homemade Way said...

All of my graphs are in both sizes. My original plan was to do the crest and the corners in double crochet corner to corner, they are 25x25. The smaller blocks are actually 30x30 but I was planning on doing them in single crochet or tunsian simple stitch. So while the blocks are smaller they are actually bigger. Lol now if I haven't confused you enough, each pattern has been both sizes of graphs.

Unknown said...

idk how but I did three of your blocks (which are beautiful btw) from another group. I am all done with my blanket except for ONE block. Is it possible to purchase the pattern for servius snape in 30 x30 from you? I have looked high and low...and am so happy to finally find it!

Unknown said...

have you looked on https://twoheartscrochet.com/the-harry-potter-cal/

Unknown said...

These are wonderful! It's been about a year or so since some of the comments, and only about a 1/3 of the charts are linked. Are you still planning on releasing the rest?

The Homemade Way said...

I have posted the patterns on my blog in groups which is why they aren't linked. If you look through the various posts you should find what you are looking for.

Unknown said...

hello

I was wondering if you ever made your broom stick banner into a graph. please let me know!! thanks so much! autumn

The Homemade Way said...

Hi Autumn,

I just saw this comment. The broomstick is not my pattern. I found it on Pinterest. I thought I posted the link. I will double check and see if I can link it to the original author's page.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any blankets for sale?

The Homemade Way said...

Not at this time. I don’t have as much time as I would like to crochet. When that changes I will let you know.

Mui said...

Hello, I'd like to know where I can find the Harry Potter banner.
Thanks

Chucklesab said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chucklesab said...

Hi,

I cannot find the broomstick banner graph anywhere! Please help a girl out! I have been trying to make my own graph which normally I LOVE to do but for some reason, the HP Broomstick is failing me! I need it to be at least 100 stitches in length by less than 30 rows and I can't get it to look right!