Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I found this recipe on Slimfast.com many many years ago. They have since removed the recipe, but I will forever be making this wonderful dish for my family for years to come. I have modified my recipe and removed the bell pepper and tomatoes. I do not like the flavor of bell peppers and I do not like my tomatoes cooked. I also pair the chicken with steamed white rice (that is until my rice is gone, then I will switch to brown rice *shivers*. lol. I will have to add a picture next time I make it.


Sweet and Sour Chicken and Tomato Wedges
http://slimfast.nutrio.com/images/clear_dot.gifPrep Time: 15 minutesTotal Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
·  5 ounces chicken breasts, boneless/skinless, raw
·  1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
·  1 garlic clove
·  3 teaspoons canola oil
·  1 bell pepper, green, medium
·  1 onion, yellow
·  1/2 dry cup pineapple chunks, canned in juice
·  1 1/2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
·  1 tomato, medium
·  1/4 pound mixed salad greens
·  8 baby carrots
·  1 tablespoon fat-free salad dressing, favorite flavor
Preparation
Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into 1-inch pieces. Place chicken, soy sauce and garlic (minced) in a resealable bag. Marinate 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Saute´ chicken in 2 tsp. of the canola oil until browned. Place in a medium casserole dish lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray. Wash bell pepper and cut into thin strips. Wash, peel and slice onion. Saute´ green pepper and onion in remaining 1 tsp. of oil. Add to the chicken in the casserole dish. Drain pineapple chunks, reserving 2 tbsp. of the juice. Combine pineapple juice, 1/4 cup (2 oz.) of water, and 1/2 tbsp. of the vinegar in a small bowl; stirring to blend. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Wash pineapple and cut into 8 wedges. Top casserole with pineapple chunks and 4 tomato wedges (half of tomato). Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile, prepare tossed salad with washed lettuce greens (1/4 pound is approximately 2 cups), remaining 4 tomato wedges, baby carrots cut lengthwise into strips, and dressing mixed with remaining 1 tbsp. of vinegar.
Nutrition Information
Amount Per Serving
Calories
610

Calories from Fat
180
Total Fat
20 g
Saturated Fat
2.5 g
Cholesterol
120 mg
Sodium
890 mg
Total Carbohydrate
58 g
Dietary Fiber
11 g
Sugars
36 g
Protein
51 g
Vitamin A
330%
Vitamin C
290%
Calcium
15%
Iron
30%

No comments: