Sunday, June 9, 2013

Time To Craft!

As many of my friends and family know, I am an avid crafter. I LOVE the accomplishment that comes from creating something with my own two hands, and seeing how nicely it turns out, and even when it doesn't turn out quite right, I keep working on the project until it does turn out how I want it. I also love using these items to decorate my home, because:

1. Homemade items are a lot cheaper than store bought items.
2. They just look better.
3. By making the decorations myself, I'm assured that I will never find another house that looks the same.

With these three "rules" in my mind, that is how I like to decorate for Christmas. Ever since 1999, the year I moved out on my own, I have always tried to make new decorations for my Christmas tree, in various mediums and I do have to say, I was completely in love with my tree and decorations. Yes, they took me a long time to make, but they were beautiful. They weren't flashy, but I didn't need flashy. The memories of making them were enough. Unfortunately, I lost all my Christmas decorations in a move a few years ago, and I have not had the time or money to get back to making new decorations. That is changing this year, this moment.

Now since it is a little early for Christmas decorations to be pulled out of the cabinet, I thought I would start with a final summer project. Who doesn't think of watermelon and summer together? This is a cute little setting that has both coasters and napkin rings. Follow this link to the designer's website.

Materials Used:

7 count clear Plastic Canvas Mesh - 3 sheets



Needloft Yarn for Coaster & Holder:

#55 Watermelon - 81 1/2 yds.

#00 Black - 5 yds.

#41 White - 41 1/2 yds.

#28 Christmas Green - 19 1/2 yds.



Needloft Yarn for Napkin Rings:

#55 Watermelon - 17 yds.

#00 Black - 1 1/2 yds.

#41 White - 5 1/2 yds.

#28 christmas Green - 6 yds.



Key:

Royal Blue Embroidery Stitch code = DMC White Pearl Cotton doubled - 6 1/2 yds.



Stitches Used:

Continental Stitch

Cross Stitch

Embroidery Stitch

Whip Stitch

Overcast



Instructions for Coaster & Holder:



Cut 2 pieces of 37X22 threads (36X21 holes) according to the pattern for the holder. Cut 1 piece of 21X66 threads (20X65 holes) to the pattern for the holder bottom. And cut 12 piece of 33X25 threads (32X24 holes) according to the pattern for the coaster.



Follow the patterns to stitch the project. Remember to stitch all the watermelons pieces (including the uncoded sections in Watermelon #55) before stitching the words on top. Whipstitch the front & back of the holder to the bottom piece using Christmas Green #28 (to give the look of the outside of the watermelon). Don't forget to overcast all the sections in the adjoining colors. Whipstitch 2 watermelon coasters together in Christmas Green #28 to make a total of 6 coasters. Don't forget to whipstitch the top part of the watermelon coaster in the adjoining areas.



Instructions for Napkin Rings:



Cut 6 pieces of 11X32 threads (10X31 holes) according to the pattern. Follow the pattern to stitch the project. Whipstitch the two ends together with Watermelon #55. Overcast both sides of the ring in Christmas Green #28.



The Pattern!

ETA: I have started making this adorable pattern but have since decided that for right now I am going to be focusing on crocheting. If I happen to find patterns that I like or love I will most definitely share them.

No comments: