Sunday, June 16, 2013

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

My sweet tooth kicked into full gear last night, and I started craving cookies. I have been buying the pre-made cookie dough, but decided that I would rather make a full batch of cookies, and save myself a little money, so I started looking through my food supply and realized that I had 4 containers of oatmeal. Since I don't usually make regular oatmeal, I decided this was a good time to bake oatmeal cookies, so off to the store for a couple of crucial ingredients; Chocolate Chips. The recipe under the lid of the oatmeal was titled Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. Although that sounds yummy, I wasn't in the mood for raisin cookies. Chocolate was the only thing on my mind, so I decided to change it up a bit, and make Vanishing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. Mmm. Just the sound of that makes my mouth water. I am going to post the recipe just as I made it, then I will Bold the changes that need to be made to make these raisin cookies. I hope you enjoy them!

Just a little tip, I ended up making 1/2 dozen dropped cookies and the rest into bar cookies because the dough looked like it was going to spread and end up making the cookies bars anyway. I was wrong. The cookies did not spread out much, so don't be afraid to make them into drop cookies like I was. :-)

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time Time: 10-12 min
Yield - 4 DOZEN

Ingredients:
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

For Chocolate Chip cookies:
1 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips

For Raisin Cookies:
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon



Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda,  and salt; mix well. Add oats and chocolate chips; mix well.
  • Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  • Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
Variations

Bar Cookies: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. 24 BARS. VARIATIONS: Stir in 1 cup chopped nuts. Substitute 1 cup Raisins chocolate; include cinnamon. Substitute 1 cup diced dried mixed fruit. HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups and bake as directed.

No comments: